Sunday 17 February 2019

What Have I Done Wrong?


I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Dodgy live. More than 20? Definitely. More than 50? Probably; and when I said here they'd be going round the country to mark the 25th anniversary of Homegrown (their second long player), I knew that I would drop all plans and get myself down the front.

It's hard to comprehend where the last quarter of a century has gone. 1994 seems like another world. Though I'm glad to report that even though a few brain cells have been lost along the way, I still have my original copy of the album. As well as my own teeth. And hair.

Of course Homegrown* had Staying Out For The Summer on there, and Melodies Haunt You, even So Let Me Go Far. But this was the standout song for me last night. Still relevant too, as Nigel Clark pointed out - social media has got a lot to answer for. It really has.


Dodgy - What Have I Done Wrong? (1994)


They were even selling programmes last night. How refreshing, how Dodgy. Five English pounds** secured a permanent reminder of a brilliant album and a brilliant night. And I still haven't ruled out Brighton and/or London yet...


* The song Homegrown, perversely, is not on Homegrown. It can be found on Free Peace Sweet.
** 10% of all profit made from the programme goes to Musicians Against Homelessness. 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard this for many-a-long year, but it still sounds good to these ears. Is that a deliberate nod to Maggie May in the solo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be, mustn't it? And, as they say, none the worse for that.

      I see they're in Norwich on 2 March...

      Delete
  2. Only 20 words used and a bit of Maggie May thrown in - Doesn't get much better that that.

    As for where have the last 25 years gone - I have simply no idea. I still think of music from 1994 as being "new"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty words indeed Alyson. I've noticed this word count trait of yours before: intriguing. In a good way!
      Maggie May influence going on for sure, but done in such a way that would have Rod smiling (if he ever heard it).

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have a habit of combining my love of numbers with my love of words. Been working on an assignment tonight for my course, and all about metre in poetry - I love all that measuring out the rhythm in numbers, but some of the classmates just don't get it all all. They do write some very clever poems though so horses for courses an' all that.

      Delete