Saturday 27 April 2019

What happens next is private, it's also very rude

I'm absolutely thrilled to announce that our second Vinyl Session album will be Ian Dury's New Boots and Panties. After the success of our debut session (when we dissected David Bowie's Hunky Dory) we will, once again, be convening at Nottingham's Running Horse to listen to the Blockheads' 1977 classic - in full.

It would be rather wonderful if you could join us on Sunday May 12th; the Runner is a very convivial venue with a great PA and some rather splendid beers.

We kick-off at 2:00 p.m. whereupon lots of Dury and Dury associated chit-chat will, no doubt, ensue. And, of course, the album will be played in its entirety. If you can make it, please feel free to bring along any Blockhead related goodies - singles, ticket stubs etc. and we'll celebrate the quite unique talent of Ian Dury.

Ian Dury - Wake Up and Make Love with Me (1977)


Ian Dury (1942-2000)

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day.
    I'd rather hear "New Boots And Panties" than "Hunky Dory" but it's just as well I can't make it as I tend to scream out the opening lines of "Plaistow Patricia", which is why I'm not allowed out of the house much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audience participation - yes! You're in! I'll sign your pass out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks CC. What would be on your shortlist for our next album?

      Delete
    2. Jayhawks -Hollywood Town Hall
      Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
      ABC - The Lexicon of Love

      Delete
    3. Good choices all. I think Bob Dylan would divide any room, so, yeah, a bit of Dylan, definitely! Which album was the first album you bought with your own money, just out of interest?

      Delete
    4. Band on the Run by Wings followed by Sheer Heart Attack by Queen both on cassette

      Delete
  3. You sure know how to pick 'em. Advice to the youngsters out there: Don't play Plaistow Patricia loud enough for your father to hear. I had a very unpleasant afternoon in my 14th year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian. I think you and FBCB need to form a self help group! That or come to Nottingham a week on Sunday.

      Delete
  4. You have really come up with something quite excellent here - It could run and run. Great choice for the second album (guessing your audience is of a certain age but would be good to have some young 'uns in as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take all the credit Alyson! Rich, my partner in crime, has borrowed a tried and tested formula - as used by the boys up in Glossop (I linked to them in my Bowie piece) - and we've transplanted the whole thing 80 miles south.

      Delete