Monday 14 January 2019

Get Carter


I think it’s a pretty safe bet that despite 2019 being barely two weeks old we already have a contender for tune of the year: 'Faraway Look' by Yola Carter is a song so utterly huge, so monumental, that it would take several gangs of labourers working round the clock with industrial tune moving equipment for the next eleven and a half months to dislodge it from my brain’s playlist generator.

Imagine Memphis era Dusty joining forces with, say, Glen Campbell, Scott Walker and Gene Pitney – and Phil Spector manning the controls - belting out a sixties clarion call to end all clarion calls in a ‘You’ve Lost That 24 Hours From The Son Of A Wichita Preacher Man’ kind of way. That’s how big this is.

And if you think I'm over egging this particular soulful pudding, then pull up a chair and see for yourself.



12 comments:

  1. Sold....to the lanky grey haired geezer from Norfolk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I too fall into the lanky grey haired geezer demographic, I wonder if Yola knows we're her target audience?!

      Delete
  2. Very good, very soulful. I would never have guessed it was contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely drenched in soul isn't it? And it has a certain retro-contemporary feel about it that just makes it so infectious.

      Delete
  3. ‘You’ve Lost That 24 Hours From The Son Of A Wichita Preacher Man’ - What a perfect description. I keep mentioning in my blog that the year I seem to revisit most often is 1967 and this could well have been from back then (but in the same way Rumer sounds like Karen Carpenter - not quite, more contemporary).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1967 was a vintage year Alyson!
      I shall go away and listen to some Rumer this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. You've done it again, John. Introduced me to something new and wonderful. Ta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All part of the service Martin. Looking forward to giving you more steers in ‘19.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant stuff - she is now on the list
    Love that country soul vibe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brilliant, isn’t she? Apparently she’s sung with Portishead and is regularly in demand. I particularly like the production - matey out of the Black Keys.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for playing this song. Dan Auerbach is creating something really special with his label Easy Eye Sound. My favorite album of 2018 was Shannon Shaw's 'Shannon in Nashville.' Like Yola, a throwback, albeit a much rougher Shangri-Las sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Brian, I'll go and pay Shannon a visit.

      Delete