Wednesday 26 December 2018

The Hush Before the Silence

A rather splendid book
Boxing Day. A day to relax. A day to do precisely nothing; the square root of nothing, no less. There's even a formula for this prolonged bout of inactivity: e=√FA

That said, I am reading a rather splendid book at the moment, whilst simultaneously demolishing nearly half a tin of Quality Street. Oh, and I've hung a few pictures this afternoon that have been leaning against walls for far too long.

And I'm currently compiling a couple of playlists. Downtempo playlists, if you will; nothing too strenuous, nothing too upbeat. Not today. Not on Boxing Day.

Paul Weller bookends the first one with two different versions of My Ever Changing Moods - one of my fave Weller songs from his Style Council days. He did a rather tasty piano version 30+ years ago and then, last year I think, included it in a specially recorded BBC session - a version reflecting his now slightly reduced vocal range (Macca, a hero of Weller, does something very similar when he sings Beatles songs these days).

Then


Now

11 comments:

  1. Think the 30 year old version is still my favourite - A truly beautiful song. Day 3 now of this post Christmas Day lull - I think it's a Friday, but can't be sure. e=√FA indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was Friday yesterday because they sang 'Happy Birthday' to me in the Italian restaurant!

      Delete
    2. A belated Happy Birthday and a belated Happy New Year - You've had a busy couple of weeks! Hope 2019 is good to you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to honor all of the pugilists that built your great country. We don’t have Boxing Day. Sorry. That was terrible.

    Yes, the Style Council got a little patchy at the end, but I still listen to the early records with regularity. Enjoyed this take on My Ever Changing Moods. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take my Bank Holidays anywhere I can get 'em Brian!

      Weller was on a roll when he wrote this. He's written some blinders over the years but this really is a different class.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best to you and yours for the New Year, John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Marie. And to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you and your family, John, hope 2019 will be a good'un.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete