Thursday 10 May 2018

Beautiful Stranger

Pete Paphides - yes, he wears cardigans
I listen to Pete Paphides' Soho Radio show on Tuesdays. This week he laid down on the studio couch and bared his soul: "Black Coffee in Bed isn't really a Squeeze song", he said.  "It just fell into the wrong hands. Everyone knows it's a Smokey Robinson song. Don't they?"

And so the floodgates opened: Somebody to Love was seemingly snatched from the Proclaimers at birth, and palmed out to Queen. Donald Fagen was just in the right place at the right time when Madness foisted Walk Between the Raindrops on him.

It's that kind of programme. I heartily recommend it.

I'll leave you with this:

In 1999, after posting flyers on telegraph poles that read "LOST SONG. GOES BY THE NAME OF BEAUTIFUL STRANGER", the Charlatans heard this coming out of their radio:

Damn you Madonna



5 comments:

  1. I'll try and remember to tune in, John. Sounds like my sort of programme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin - Even if you can't listen live, all the old shows are up on Mixcloud. Happy days!

      Delete
  2. I can hear the Charlatans doing Beautiful Stranger. In my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SA - You really can, can't you? Another one that was mentioned - Queen's 'You're My Best Friend'. Imagine if Billy Ocean had got hold of that and chucked a load of horns in there.
      Anymore for anymore?

      Delete
  3. I don't know that Queen song but will take your word for it. Endless hours of amusement though.

    ReplyDelete