Wednesday 29 November 2017

Magpie

Sorry, I couldn't help myself: Susan Stranks and a real magpie
It won't have escaped your notice that Detectorists is back. TV archeologists will I'm sure, in years to come, if they're not already, be citing Mackenzie Crook's small screen masterpiece as, probably, the finest comedy drama of the 21st. century; amongst the ringpulls and scaffold clips that lie beneath the surface of the Radio Times, Detectorists is a bona fide treasure. The goldest of gold coins. The buried city. The Holy Grail.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Episode 1 ended with this. I won't set it up for you - you'll get it; please just watch (and listen). And fall in love with it like I did.


That's right, 'Magpie' by the Unthanks. Has a soundtrack ever fitted a television programme so perfectly before? I don't think so.
Here are the fabulous Unthank sisters on Later, playing the full extended version.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, so wonderful in every way. The use of the Unthanks song for that scene in Ep 1 had me a little glassy-eyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just such a magnificently brilliant piece of television. And it only serves to remind me that I *must* go and see the Unthanks.

      Delete
  2. The Unthanks are superb, as is detectorists. I just wish that the genius who re-commissioned Crook's third series for BBC4 would recommision Rachel and Becky for another of their folk travelogues around the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see the Unthanks on their Shipyards tour at the De La Warr , they were superb, I love that song but I've never watched the Detectorists.... May be one to catch up with over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get me a ticket next time they're in town Suzie! You'll love Detectorists, I promise you.

      Delete