Thursday 31 August 2017

Coffee?

He won't thank me for reminding him, but Glenn Tilbrook, 50% shareholder of Squeeze Ltd., said goodbye to his fifties today. I'm sure if you trawl the back issues of this blog you'll find plenty of references to both him and his common law songwriting partner, Chris Difford. To say their partnership has been rocky would be an understatement, but, not for nothing, were they once compared to Lennon & McCartney. And rightly so.

I've seen Glenn live in so many different permutations I really have lost count. And in all those times - Glenn solo, Glenn with Squeeze (with and without Jools), Glenn with the Fluffers, Glenn with Chris - I've only ever seen him play Black Coffee in Bed on the guitar. But, here he is vamping a few chords on the old Joanna:

Glenn Tilbrook: Black Coffee in Bed


Glenn Tilbrook - 60 today. Happy Birthday Glenn!

7 comments:

  1. Speaking to Mark Radcliffe the other afternoon, Chris Difford rated the forthcoming Squeeze LP as being amongst their very best, praising Glenn Tilbrook's contribution in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than Some Fantastic Place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great clip - Enjoyed watching him pop up at Glastonbury in the outdoorsy green room area but as someone of around the same age, it's still a shock to see the more mature Glenn. I blinked and life seems to have just whizzed by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I actually think he's worn really well; even the Totnes Beard years were kind to him. And I bet when they wrote Coffee he didn't think he'd still be playing it nearly forty years later.

      Delete
    3. I didn't mean that in a bad way, it's just that in my head we're all still 20-something!

      Delete
    4. I know you didn't!

      You're right: in my head I'm 28 - have been since, well, I *was* 28. It's the mirror that plays by its own rules.

      Delete