Saturday 22 April 2017

Textbook


My admiration of Magnus Mills is unbridled. Show me a better writer and I can see we'll be looking for the nearest branch of Burtons.

His new novel, The Forensic Records Society, landed on the doormat yesterday; I started it this morning after breakfast and already it's shaping up to be a classic. When a couple of music buffs decide to start a record listening club in the backroom of their local pub on a Monday evening, it's not long till a counter group forms - meeting in the same pub on a Tuesday; textbook Mills.

Did I ever tell you that he once wrote me a postcard? I've just dug it out of my copy of Mills' The Scheme For Full Employment. Nesbitt is a character from same, in case you were wondering.




4 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My late friend Andy was full of admiration for Magnus Mills and always recommending him; I never got around to reading any and had forgotten his name until now. Thanks for the reminder. Would this be a good place to start, or would you suggest something else?
    (Love the postcard too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C: I'd start with either 'All Quiet on the Orient Express' or 'The Scheme for Full Employment'. Orient Express is a book I go back to time and again. And Full Employment is just perfect. I really hope you like them.

      Delete