Saturday 29 April 2017

Heartbreaking

Glen Campbell's days are numbered, it would appear. His dementia, now full blown Alzheimers, was first diagnosed back in 2012 and has all but taken away one of the greatest guitarists (certainly the most versatile) of all time. As well as having hit after hit in his own right, Campbell played on singles as diverse as I'm a Believer, Strangers in the Night (that's right, Sinatra) and Unchained Melody; and a ton of other stuff by The Beach Boys (he was a stand-in for Brian Wilson in 1964/5), Mamas & the Papas, Dean Martin and Bobby Darin. Seeing recent footage of, let's not mince words here, this legend is nothing short of heartbreaking; best to remember him this way - a mesmerising TV appearance including a masterclass in how to play guitar, and a jaw dropping solo rendition of Wichita Lineman. I strongly urge you to watch it.

I love Any Trouble's homage to the great man. I saw Clive Gregson perform this beautiful song at a house concert a couple of years ago, and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention; there's not many songs that can do that these days.

Any Trouble - When I Hear Glen Campbell Sing

7 comments:

  1. Very sad. I saw him on his final tour a few years back. His memory was going, but he still put on a hell of a show - guitar and vocals - wth support from his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must share your memories of that gig at some point.

      Delete
  2. That really is a wonderful reading of 'Wichita Lineman'. Clive's song is none too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you took time out to watch it. I was in tears by the end, I don't mind telling you.

      Delete
  3. Hadn't heard that Any Trouble track before. A fine tribute to a musical giant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a postscript, I've only just discovered that lurking on one of Campbell's more recent albums is a song entitled Any Trouble.

    ReplyDelete