Friday 11 December 2015

Dear Diary...

Driving to the studio on Wednesday evening, James mentioned how touched he was when reading the recent posts I’d written about his Pop. I must confess that there has, of late, been a more Dear Diary approach to this blog – more than at any other time, possibly, in its, now, six year history. What started out as a personal platform for me to wax lyrical about the music, the bands and general pop culture that influenced and shaped me as a kid (and the stranglehold it’s had on me ever since) has changed. Matured? Probably not - but these days I’m just as likely to talk about the state of my head or my relationship with friends & family as I am with a current groove I've been pointed in the direction of. Is any of this making sense? Possibly not; but therein lies the rub, it doesn't have to. I maybe a daydreamer, but I also know that this little digital backwater where I reside is the equivalent of a derelict castle on the Isle of Skye. However great, or not, it is, there will only ever be one 53 seater a week that comes to visit it. More or less. Actually, my stats indicate a few more than that, but you know what I mean.

So if you're reading this, and have stuck with me this far, thank you. What started out as nothing more than a vanity project has certainly lasted longer than I ever thought it would. I look forward to writing each of these pieces so much I can't begin to tell you. What it must be like to read them, however, I couldn't possibly say. But as 2016 is only a handful of days away and this blog enters its seventh year, even I can only guess what lies in wait around the next corner.

10 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading the latest dispatch from Medd Towers as much as you enjoy writing them. Long may it continue.
    Apropos of nothing, I found myself humming ' What Are You Waiting For' in the shower the other morning. You've got yerself a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too look forward to reading your posts and it's great to know you enjoy writing them as much, rather than you ever feeling it's turned into some kind of chore or duty - that's not what it should be about after all. I completely get what you say about the way the blog has evolved too. There's only one you, and this is yours - whatever you write is valid at that moment and that's all that matters!
    I enjoy diary-style posts in particular, these are the posts where thoughts or experiences can empathised with or related to and perhaps the nicest thing of all, where connections are made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you TS & C. There'll always be room on the 53 sweater for you two. We definitely should meet up next year in the *real* world. Let's make it happen, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure whether your stats can count those who read via an RSS feed rather than visiting the page so I visited to add one more to the stats. We have not met but our families know each other in Grantham. Hope you keep you the postings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jd. I met your mother at mum's funeral - she's a nice lady. She told me you read my blog. Am I right in thinking you're based in Japan?

      Delete
    2. Yes, in Japan although I had a few days in Grantham last week for an early Christmas. My Mum said it was nice to meet you as well.

      Delete
  5. Your blogs are entertaining and illuminating, John. I'll be tagging along as you go around the corner.

    ReplyDelete