Thursday 24 December 2015

Christmases were better in the seventies

Weren't they? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, whether they were or whether they weren't, I'd just like to wish anyone who's stuck their head around the door in the last twelve months a very Happy Christmas. Have a joyous one and have a safe one. And have one for me.

The images above show that there was a time when I could slide quite comfortably into a football strip (and a tank top come to that) and not get asked if I'd eaten all the pies. And the final picture (below), although not taken at Christmas, is a photograph that only came into my possession yesterday. It's of mum and her father in the back garden of the family home in Strokestown, Co. Roscommon. I'm guessing it was taken c.1937.


3 comments:

  1. Ah, such classic photos... and those curtains!
    A very merry Christmas to you and your family and wishing you a happy New Year too. Look forward to future posts and who knows, maybe a meet-up too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes those curtains, the footie kit, the telly.....hang on, was that photo taken round our house? And the tank top/polo neck shirt combo - I bet you were fighting off the ladies at playtime. Lovely old shot of your Mum & Granddad too.
    Seasonal felicitations to the Medd household from the management and staff here at Swede Towers. See you for a shandy in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely picture of Dolores and Grandad, I've never seen that one before.
    I do however remember the tank top/ polo combo, I had one almost identical except in a fetching orange and brown combo.
    Happy Christmas to you all up there from us all down here x

    ReplyDelete