Monday 19 October 2015

Barmaid Of The Year 2015

The lovely Heidi
It's nearing that time of year when the Best Of lists start appearing in newspapers, magazines, websites, even blogs. The year, seemingly, can't be put to bed until everything has been compartmentalised, graded and wrapped up into a Top 10. My round up for 2015, like last year, will no doubt be announced sometime between when the clocks go back and New Year.

But one award that can't wait till then is a category I've never covered before. Before I blurt out the winner, I'll try and give it some context. Partial, as I am, to nice beer, it was like a breath of fresh air when, less than a year ago, a pub in the town which, being kind, had seen better days was taken over by a couple absolutely brimming with new ideas: Phil & Jill could see beyond the scuzzy carpets, dirty beer lines and festival toilets and have given the place a total makeover. Don't get me wrong, it's still a work in progress - but they're certainly doing more things right than wrong. Not least by serving sensational beers and fantastic food (thus making it a destination pub) and by bringing in staff who know what they're doing: step forward the lovely Heidi, who in the space of just a few short months has turned into a true friend of the Medds (all the Medds - I'm sure she's the main reason my dad is so keen to come back and see us again and again).

So there you have it, Barmaid Of The Year - the lovely Heidi.

Heidi can be found most evenings in The Black Swan, Pickering. Tell her I sent you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...well that's a post I never expected to read. It's been a pleasure to have a job that I love. A job that is offering me a career, but the greatest pleasure is the new friends I have made. I don't take compliments very easily and I am sobbing like a mad-woman right now. Happy tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Heidi, I didn't mean to make you cry! Would you like a sash or a badge? Or just a big hug? J x

      Delete
  2. Oh a sash please.. . Only kidding. Hug will be great. Can't wait to see you and the gang xx

    ReplyDelete