Wednesday 23 January 2013

The wrong trousers


I'd never seen this photograph until yesterday. Uncropped and away from its Rubber Soul context, it's just four men in the park. Standing in front of a bush. But what really jars with me is John Lennon's trousers: he's wearing jeans. Or denims as they were probably referred to at the time. Not a hangable offence by any stretch of the imagination; it just doesn't sit right with me. I realise that the matching suits had long gone and the Sergeant Pepper dressing up hamper wouldn't come out for at least another 18 months. But, I don't know, it's just not...right.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean but if the photo was cut a little lower we'd also see that Ringo was in a rah-rah skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's really lovely to see the bigger (and undistorted) picture and I adore their jackets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at this last night off your Twitter link and that's the first thing I thought, I was really surprised he was wearing jeans, and jeans that particular shade of blue. They seem anachronistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...perhaps Starr isn't wearing anything at all!

    Jeans and a suede jacket very John Denver at the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's irrational, I know, but this photograph has been bothering me all day. What next? A previously unfound Director's cut of A Hard Day's Night - in colour?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that before I got as far as the jeans, my first thought was how trim John looks. What a terrific image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a good source of information, I will often follow it to know more information and expand my knowledge, I think everyone should know it, thanks Best Tshirts for Men service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! Best PSG Red & Blue Tracksuit service provider.

    ReplyDelete