Monday 1 March 2010

Cross Country Murder Song

Ever since Messrs. Jupitus and Wilding broadcast their BBC 6 Music breakfast show from our home in Nottingham, I’ve always kept one eye on what the Phil(l)s are up to - they're both genuinely nice fellas. That was back in July 2005. Since then Phill Jupitus is a bit like dog dirt in the park – he’s everywhere: QI, Buzzcocks, The Perfect 10, newspaper columns. More recently he’s been appearing in London’s West End - playing Edna Turnblad in Hairspray was the role he was born to play. And it was backstage at The Shaftesbury Theatre a couple of weeks ago when Jenny and I last saw Phill – he gave us both an almighty bear hug and we did a bit of catching up. He then asked me if I’d pre-ordered Wilding’s debut novel – Cross Country Murder Song. I said that I hadn’t yet but next day I texted the Welsh Phil and asked him if he wouldn’t mind sending me a signed copy. He replied in the affirmative but it’s not yet landed (reading his blog I'm guessing that getting a book out to me is not his number one priority right now!) So when it does arrive what can I expect? To quote the blurb: Cross Country Murder Song is a unique and visceral novel from a new voice in contemporary noir. Gripping relentless and impossible to put down, it is a 21st century road trip to the heart of darkness. As a fan of noir and pulp fiction in general (Elmore Leonard, Joe R Lansdale, Lawrence Block, John Harvey) I await the package eagerly and will report back in due course. Pictured below - my son James with Phill J and Phil W.

3 comments:

  1. On a similar theme - I would recommend Cathi Unsworth's Bad Penny Blues.

    I caught her doing a reading a couple of weeks back - watch out for a blog-based Q and A with her soon.

    Phil J's a Southender you know, apparently just a few streets away from me. Any chance of sending him a link to our poddies to soothe his commute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do. Podcasts are ideal when travelling - I always load the pod up for when I'm in the car. Word, Moth, Rhod Gilbert, Wreckless Radio, Archers(!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been busy!

    ReplyDelete